Saturday, October 12, 2002

I am very partial to a conspiracy theory, There are more than you can shake a stick at, here.

All sorts of anti war stuff.

Let the world know how you feel.

I love this what kind of soul are you thingy.

I am very seriously thinking about starting another blog devoted exclusively to chick pea recipes. I nicked this from the Guardian, bugger soaking and cooking for hours, use tinned.
Spinach and chickpea soup


This is far and away the most popular soup at the Sutton Arms: we have to make it in huge batches, otherwise we wouldn't have enough to meet demand from our customers. It's the creation of my mate and co-head chef Tim Dillon, a fantastic cook who has worked for years in some of London's most lauded kitchens, but who rarely gets anywhere near the credit he deserves (he's also a West Ham fan, so needs some cheering up).

4 tbsp olive oil

2 medium onions, finely sliced

2 cloves garlic

1 tsp each crushed cumin seeds, coriander seeds, turmeric and paprika

20g fresh coriander, picked, stalks reserved and leaves roughly chopped

750g tinned chickpeas (or soaked dried ones cooked with loads of garlic, a fresh chilli and various fresh herbs)

300g spinach, roughly chopped

500ml vegetable stock (or the cooking liquor from the chickpeas)

Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based pot, add the onions and garlic and fry gently for a few minutes. Add the spices and coriander stalks, and cook for 30 minutes.

Add the chickpeas and spinach, stir for a few minutes, then add the stock and cook for 15 minutes. Season according to taste, then liquidise a quarter of the soup, along with the coriander leaves. Return to the pot, and season again. Serve with flat bread, soft flour tortillas or pitta.
While I am on the subject of food, I will just mention I knocked out a beef and almond rogan josh earlier that was just about the dogs gonads.

England got 3 very beautiful points against Slovakia earlier, when at one point it appeared we we were in for a bit of a humiliation. News will be dominated by the violence though I think. Apart from the general scrapping, two of the silly sods managed to get themselves shot. All in all it seems a pretty unwelcoming and racist sort of place.

It's all very odd. At the start of the year I created a blog which I intended to use as a diary really, to document goings on at work. 2 teams had merged,sort of, against our wishes, 2 good managers had been creatively dismissed , a good senior prac went and we were going to have to put up with new managers who, frankly, knew nothing of the particular strains and stresses of our particular job in our particular area. I knew it would end in tears and decided to document it. Trouble is I created the blog when I was pissed and have never been able to find the bugger. I only mention it because I went on about bullying the other day and now I keep finding bullying sites. It occurs to me that I might try harder to find that blog, or set up another.

An interview with one of the individuals who make all this cobblers possible.

No comments: