Monday, January 27, 2003

Class in America

Once again, Robert Fisk demonstrates a searing passion and articulacy in making his anti war point.

A wordy appreciation of Elmore Leonard, I have my own non wordy appreciation to share: genius

The US intends to shatter Iraq "physically, emotionally and psychologically" by raining down on its people as many as 800 cruise missiles in two days. I feel sick. Surely such wanton disregard for the lives of innocent non combatants would be a war crime?
I really, really, hope that this is just hyperbole.

Spear toss for the disabled.

Pig stacking

Very good and thoughtful article exploring notions of anti Americanism in Europe.

I am guilty of looking at murder rates in the U.S or gun crime in the UK and dismissing both as hazards of the gangbanger lifestyle the victims choose. Crass I know, and it doesn't take into account that they were real people with real lives, hopes and fears and leave behind real grief stricken relatives. Neither does it take into account that without poverty, inequality and injustice it probably wouldn't happen. Not so much anyway.


It's forecast to get very cold here over the next couple of days. Good. I love winter. The Chicago Tribune compares modern versus , er, non modern writers and their respective abilities to describe cold.
Tips on staying warm from a New Yorker.

The Ladder Theory. Probably not safe for work.

Kaleidoscope.

Anything for a quiet life. Another missive has arrived from spionkop which I think he wants me to share, here it is, in full: Bloody jets have been shaking the house and just missin me chimney pactising to fly under Sad dans radars. The noise upsets the dog and frightens me to death. I am therefore the founder member of NATIONAL ASSOCIATION AGAINST FAST FLYING OVER FLORA and FAUNA (NAFF OFF). Anyone else want to sign up?

No comments: