Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Somebodys Gonna Get Their Head Kicked In Tonight



One of the little perks of having job which entails you spending a fair bit of time in the car is the opportunity it affords you to happen across little gems on the radio, such as this programme on the art of the sleevenote. It's very good and is a lovely listen.

Disappointingly, the new Neko Case isn't available on spotify, but it doesn't matter, because you can stream the whole thing, for free.

Christopher Hitchens goes to Beirut and gets himself and his mates smacked up.


3 comments:

Bob Piper said...

Good link to Neko Case, ta.

Sleeve notes, (and art) are almost a thing of the past as we wave goodbye to even the much reduced stuff you get with a CD. One of the best things about Apple Mac is the screensaver which displays shots of 48 different album covers, constantly changing, from your itunes library.

By the way Pete, I may have asked you before, but have you read Charles Wilford's brilliant Hoke Moseley quartet of novels? I've just re-read them, back to back, and they are absolutely stunning stuff.

peter bowler said...

I have read them Bob, at your behest if I am not very much mistaken, and I agree with your summation. I have also read the Shark Infested Custard and a couple of others of his, which are very definitely of their time!

I have just read my first Donald Westlake, have you tried him? Not exactly brilliant but a hell of an enjoyable read; he has so many ideas spinning around he must have some kind of manic brain disorder which just keeps spewing out the ideas, most of which are hilarious.

Bob Piper said...

I haven't read Westlake, but I've got a week off next week so I might give one a try... if I don't get suckered and buy Chris Mullin's diaries.