Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Soul Rebel



It seems churlish to knock a good cause but by Christ comic relief gets on my tits. It’s an excuse for every berk who likes to think of himself as “mad, me”, to behave in even more annoying ways than they usually do. I don’t actually watch any of it, but I assume that it still has large multinationals donating tiny sums of money on enormous cardboard cheques, giving themselves a load of free, prime time publicity, Still, it’s all in a good cause and everyone gets to have a laugh, so its ok.

What may still be OK but grates with me anyway is all the hullabaloo over the nonentities who climbed Kilimanjaro. Apparently, they were accompanied by a small army, including a catering unit and a mobile editing suite. It raised a lot of money, but I wonder how much was raised relative to putting the whole thing together, not to mention the carbon footprint and the effects of such a large scale operation on the mountain itself. Something about it just doesn’t seem right to me.

I know that there are still people on this planet who haven’t yet downloaded Spotify; if you are one of those individuals, you are a fool; you are denying yourself unimagined pleasures.

I don’t often start books by the same author one after the other, but, having finished my first Westlake, I dived headfirst into another, and I am enjoying it just as much as the first. The Dortmunder gang are the funniest and best little mob since Richmal Cromptons Outlaws. Westlake was absolutely prolific, so I have hours and hours of good reading ahead. I won’t read them all at once though.

None of us are free

Regarding the Blues, I don't like to say I told you so, but, I told you so!

I have also been telling anyone who will listen that inequality leads to misery for us all, but no bugger has ever listened. Well.................

2 comments:

pondlife said...

I'm glad i stumbled upon this and you had similar thoughts to mine concerning the bunch of unknowns* who climbed Kilimanjaro, for Comic Relief...

*unknown - to me that is. I live outside the UK, so I have a good reason...

peter bowler said...

I'm glad that you are glad!