Monday, January 25, 2010

To Ohio



I have not been good. My training regime has been a bit lackadaisical, for which I blame the wii fit, which has knackered my stomach muscles. Soreness, allied to a general propensity towards indolence, make poor bedfellows for the aspiring wrunner. I have to be honest, I have done nothing. I did spend a couple of hours in the international pool in Cardiff on Saturday, but I didn't do a fat lot while I was there, except whizz down slides, lark about in the lazy river or whatever it is called and doss in the jacuzzi. Must try harder. Much harder. Beware that chuffing wii fit, it's a killer!

David Milliband seems to have found himself in strife because he sends his nipper to a faith school, the scoundrel. I have issues with faith schools, as I may have mentioned before, but I no longer get all pissed off about them. The argument that people are only doing the best for their nippers when they lie and cheat to get their nippers into faith schools is probably fair enough, and I should feel more foolish than I do for sending my nippers to the local dustbin rather than the faith school at the end of the road.

Mind you, there seems to be a requirement that as well as possessing a faith, or, having the ability to lie about having a faith, all parents with kids at the school must own huge 4 x 4 vehicles, so we wouldn't have got them in there anyway.

I'm beginning to wonder if there is any point to these schools. Why don't we just say, there is clear inequality between schools and some schools seem to have advantages that others don't, so we are abolishing faith schools but will keep the schools themselves open, so any bugger in the catchment area can go there, while those outside the catchment area can go to their local school, and all those pushy parents can concentrate their efforts on demanding improved standards in the dustbin schools. It's not as if these schools propagate the actual faith, given most of those attending are atheist, agnostic or indifferent.

I may have been indifferent towards the FA cup at 2.59 on Saturday afternoon, but my interest had most definitely been piqued by 5.45 and once the draw was made yesterday tea time it all started to feel a bit like the old days again.

No comments: