Friday, July 19, 2002

This little rabbit game is popping up everywhere. I am crap at it.

An interesting article on Big Brother, which says more about the psychology of the media in general really.

Last night I finished "The Ice Harvest" by Scott Phillips. Very good, very enjoyable, moved along very nicely, just the job for bedtime. It doesn't insult the intelligence isn't moronic but doesn't require too many brain cells. Perfect, I look forward to reading more of his stuff.
Almost perfect I should say. While I was about half way through, I read a review of the follow up, "The Walkaway". In the first sentence of the review the reviewer gave away the denouement of "The Ice Harvest". What kind of a smug, self satisfied, ignorant berk would do such a thing? I can't remember where I read it but I think it was the Sunday Times. I hope the guy never gets another commission. The editor of the page could give himself a stern talking to also.

Like a greatest hits collection, this list of 100 albums you should throw out is a bit variable.However it gave me many genuine laugh out loud moments. It is probably the funniest and most astute thing I have seen for ages. I'm going to post it everywhere. They should kick Maconie off the critical list and get this guy in, whoever he is.

The Friday Five
1. Where were you born?
Birmingham UK ,Balsall Heath, to be exact, which is like being born within the sound of bow bells, in my hapless opinion.
2.If you still live there, where would you rather move to? If you don't live there, do you want to move back? Why or why not?
That's a very difficult question. I haven't lived there since 1986 but still consider it home. I have a very young family and they are very well settled, so it's unlikely we will move back. It's an alien place to them and they would find the sheer size and pace of the place bewildering and frightening. By the time they flee the nest I will be ancient and if not dead heading for the coast.
3.Where in the world do you feel the safest?
Wrapped up warm in the arms of my wife.
4. Do you feel you are well-traveled?
Not really, although I have stopped and sniffed the flowers wherever I have been rather than passing through. Socially and educationally I have moved onto another, very strange planet.
5. Where is the most interesting place you've been?
Bloody Nora, that's a hard one. I think, possibly, St Davids, because I cannot understand why they built such an enormous great bloody church in a tiny place in the middle of nowhere. It's also very beautiful. I will have changed my mind on that in 5 minutes.

I am not sure I can be arsed with "le tour" anymore.

No comments: